Don't get me wrong after looking through photos there were A LOT of laughs and good times but in the moment it didn't seem like there was a benefit to being on vacation. My life felt more stressed than it was at home. Wasn't this the opposite of a vacation? Needless to say when we all got home yesterday, each of us in our own way decompressed. The girls went to their long lost toys, my husband worked on the computer and I went grocery shopping and cooked. After 5 days of vacation food, I was ready to put something healthy into my system. Not only is the 'pin' I choose healthy but there are leftovers for this weeks lunches.
12 oz. orzo (I choose a wheat orzo)
1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced
Fresh ground pepper
Grated Parmigiana Reggiano
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil- You can boil two pots of water if you want to cook the asparagus separately but I have a quick tip below where you only need to use 1 pot.
2. Add the orzo and cook per package instructions.
3. When the orzo has 2 minutes left, I added in the asparagus and blanch for last 2 to 3 minutes.
4. After the asparagus and orzo are finished cooking, drain and rinse off with VERY cold water. The other option is to place blanched asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep them green.
5. Mix olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
6. Stir in orzo and asparagus mixture.
7. Add in halved cherry tomatoes.
8. Stir in parsley and grated Parmigiana Reggiano.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This can be served warm, room temperature or cold.